March 25, 2013

The Seagull, the Eagle, and the Fish


Over the weekend, I had a little time to visit the cove. This was the most remarkable trip yet! The visit started in its usual fashion: gulls, some yelling, and pretty trees.




Then, I saw wood ducks. Can you believe it?


They didn't stay very long, though. 



And, then I saw why:



Baldy hung out for a while in a tree just behind my car. 




When he left, I noticed a seagull pulling a pretty hefty fish from the water.


This poor seagull worked hard to protect his fish. But, it wasn't long before someone else took notice of his catch.




Another eagle! This one scoped out the scene, then sat in a tree making a plan.



Then, when the moment was right, the bird made its move.







Then, just like that, she was gone!

(We've been doing some research, and we're pretty sure this is a juvenile bald eagle. They're all brown and splotchy until they are about 4 or 5 years old. Fun fact, right?)

1 comment: